Tasting Room Manager/Beer Educator
Foundation Brewing Company is seeking an enthusiastic and knowledgeable individual to join our team as the Tasting Room Manager for our Portland, ME brewery.
The Foundation Brewing Company tasting room is a place where we share our story and teach visitors about beer and the brewing process. We are looking for someone to join our team who shares a passion for craft beer and interacting with the beer community. At Foundation, we are focused on creating beautiful and authentic beer that is worthy of inspiration, and a pleasure to share and enjoy. Our curiosity leads us to grow our knowledge, develop our expertise and constantly improve. Our new Tasting Room Manager will share these values and help communicate them through every interaction with our customers and staff.
Our tasting room is connected to our brewery production space in the Industrial Way neighborhood of Portland. We are open 6 days a week (closed Tuesdays) from 12-7pm except Sundays when we are open 12-5pm. Our tasting room has 11 taps for samples and flights, and also sells beer-to-go and merchandise.
The Tasting Room Manager will be primarily responsible for:
- Creating and maintaining an inviting, professional, welcoming, clean and safe tasting room atmosphere
- Providing positive leadership to the tasting room staff
- Rapidly resolving any customer service issues and motivating others on the team to do the same
- Educating visitors about Foundation beers and the brewing process in general
- Conducting weekly pre-shift meetings for staff to communicate changes, service points and new offerings
- Coordinating group and VIP visits to the tasting room, including coordination of tours through our Brew Bus partners
- Directing and executing a plan for tasting room special events on a regular basis
- Effectively hiring, training, educating, supervising, retaining, and evaluating tasting room staff
- Ongoing advancement of working beer knowledge
On a daily basis, the Tasting Room Manager performs the following responsibilities:
- Assisting tasting room staff with customer transactions when needed to keep service running smoothly
- Overseeing the completion of opening and closing procedures
- Completing daily audits of sales transactions
- Ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations
- Coordinating the food truck schedule with our partner food trucks
- Overseeing inventory and stocking of beer, merchandise, and tasting room supplies
- Managing the staffing schedule, including PTO requests and shift swaps
Experience, Skills and Requirements:
- Experience in a brewery tasting room, or managing a restaurant bar program preferred
- Strong communication skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment
- A desire to educate others about beer and brewing
- This position is full-time, 40 hours/week. A flexible schedule is a must.
- Applicant must be able to work weekends, year-round.
- Minimum age requirement is 21 years.
- Candidate must be able to work in a standing position continuously, be able to bend, stoop, and reach occasionally, and occasionally lift and move up to 60 pounds.
- Safe Server Training certification (or equivalent) and/or successful completion of server training course as directed by Foundation Brewing is required.
- Certified Cicerone® training and certification is not required, but successful candidate will pursue and accomplish a minimum of Level 2 within one year. Reasonable studying materials and cost of class will be part of a company continuing education benefit.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position which includes time-and-a-half over 40 hours. We offer a competitive benefits package including paid time off, health insurance for employees and their dependents, short term disability and long term disability.
Send your application materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including a cover letter and resume as a PDF or Word document. Please include your name and the job title in the email subject line and in the filenames on all attachments.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5pm EDT. Please, no phone calls or drop-ins.